Business Development & Power Origination - Renewable Energy
The candidate will be responsible for leading the commercial power origination efforts for the US solar market and will also be actively involved in business development, pipeline acquisition, JV partnership, and marketing efforts related to the corporation's portfolio of utility-scale solar projects in the United States.
The successful candidate will have extensive previous experience leading power origination efforts and managing other individuals in this function. Candidate must have significant relationships and contacts across the U.S. power markets, and a familiarity with renewable energy commercial practices and evolving policies. Specific experience originating, pricing, structuring, and analyzing physical and financial PPAs is required. Experience working in CAISO, ERCOT, PJM and/or MISO is preferred.
Essential Job Functions:
- Establish relationships with procurement, trading, and origination desks at utilities, munis, CCAs, co-ops, large wholesale energy providers, investment banks and power marketers
- Identify RFP opportunities and lead marketing and origination in the RFP response process for offtake agreements, including coordinating internal resources, and pricing
- Originate bilateral PPA targets outside formal RFP processes
- Negotiate power contracts with counterparties in collaboration with various types of stakeholders
- Drive power marketing “ideas” to definitive deliverables (financial models, term sheets, contracts) and timetables for execution
- Lead business development to execute on utility-scale solar co-development partnership and/or acquisition opportunities mainly in CAISO, ERCOT and PJM; identification, qualification, valuation, due diligence, contract negotiation, and development management through Notice to Proceed (NTP) for construction
- Remain abreast of renewable energy opportunities in the United States and the national industry trends impacting the future of solar and renewable development opportunities and their competitiveness as they relate to customers
- Carry out other duties as assigned
- Advanced knowledge of power markets, customers, and segments in the US utility-scale solar market (utilities, munis, CCAs, co-ops, energy traders, commercial & industrial companies, IPPs, government agencies, etc.)
- Prior experience in RFP response processes, proposal creation and/or power pricing
- Profound understanding of concepts including: basis risk, power and energy trading, hedging, losses, and congestion
- Strong attention to detail and inclination towards structure, organization, and process – as well as the ability to examine, question, and improve on the inputs and recommendations of others.
- Excellent communication, project planning and execution, time management, and problem solving skills required.
- Knowledge of solar industry, regulations, market trends, business models, project development, and/or renewable project finance highly desirable
- Self-motivated professional with a strong, results-oriented track record and eagerness to grow in the company
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, with emphasis on Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in renewables preferably in power origination, development or asset management role
- Experience with PPA transactions across multiple power markets, customers, and deal structure types
- A Bachelor's Degree with strong academic record from a leading undergraduate program, ideally in finance, accounting, business administration, economics or engineering
- Advanced degree preferred
Los Angeles based preferred but open to remote. Please submit your resume for consideration.
You can use www.workgrades.com to collect and manage your references for free and share them with us or anyone else you choose. Candidates with references are always preferred by our clients. Now is the most important time to stand out from the crowd. We suggest that you ensure you have updated your LinkedIn profile and that you start collecting your references early.
We will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
- Los Angeles, CA
- Employment Type:
- Direct Hire