Senior Backend Developer
A leading DTC wellness platform is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join their team full-time in Austin, Texas!
The Senior Backend Engineer is responsible for designing, building, and maintaining services and databases that codify business rules and ensure the platform runs efficiently and reliably. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you’ll work with a talented team of engineers making informed decisions in both process and code. As an expert in backend services and architecture, you’ll help to lead other members of the team with your unique ideas and meaningful contributions.
What You’ll Do
- Design & Build: Write backend services and implement architecture according to business needs and priorities; Follow established processes and design patterns and actively contribute to improve them.
- Troubleshoot: Proactively work around road-blocks and communicate status and issues within the team and to relevant stakeholders; Write tests, review code, deploy projects, and help troubleshoot production issues.
- Innovate: Work alongside the services team, app engineers and product owners to deliver value and improve processes; Stay up-to-date on the latest relevant technology tools and trends.
Who You Are
- You have strong technical skills that give you the ability to teach the team about backend technologies.
- You’re not only comfortable with the unknown, but you use ambiguity as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- You’re a self-starter who is great at working independently, but you’re aware of your accountability to a larger team, working hard to achieve collective goals with the larger organizational context in mind.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, helping you to speak plainly and clearly about technical engineering topics, and you over-communicate to keep remote team members in the loop.
- Your curiosity causes you to dive in and investigate the things you don’t know and pass along what you’ve learned to others of the team.
- You’re aware of external technologies, using the information you know to keep Glo on the cutting edge of the industry.
- You have an organizational mindset that helps you create and navigate workflows with ease.
- 5+ years of experience designing, building, deploying, maintaining and debugging applications in production
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science (or other relevant degree, or equivalent experience)
- Over 4 years of experience with a functional backend language (we use Node.js)
- Strong proficiency with RESTful API design, testing, best practices and monitoring tools
- Strong proficiency in database schema design, querying and management (PostgreSQL, Redshift, DynamoDB, Redis/Elasticache)
- Self-starter, exceptional organizational skills, clear communicator, motivated to start healthy discussion and gain consensus on architecture/design decisions
- Comfortable using Docker and Kubernetes
- Comfortable with the AWS SDKs and services
- Experience with payment processor APIs (ex. Stripe, Apple In-App Payments)
- Able to clearly communicate technology and business rules to non-tech colleagues
This is a full-time position, starting immediately. We are currently a growing team of about 50 people. We offer industry-competitive salary and generous benefits including medical, dental, and life insurance; 401K match; and paid holidays, vacation, and sick time.
You can use www.workgrades.com to collect and manage your references for free and share them with us or anyone else you choose. Candidates with references are always preferred by our clients. Now is the most important time to stand out from the crowd. We suggest that you ensure you have updated your LinkedIn profile and that you start collecting your references early.
We will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
- Austin, TX
- Employment Type:
- Direct Hire